Remember those Fiddlehead Mittens I started in gray and gray-blue-purple? When I took the first seven rows to show to the peeps at my LYS, everyone agreed that my color choices were far from ideal and that I should pick another color combination. I went for green and purple, but then I was told that that particular shade of purple combined with that particular shade of green still didn't offer a high level of contrast. I was puzzled. Green and purple: not a good contrast? I was asked to imagine those two colors in a black and white photograph, and then I knew what everyone was talking about: in a black and white picture, the shades of green and purple I had chosen would appear as an identical hue of gray. Important lesson learned! I then chose colors by imagining them in an old photo, and I picked white and a dark purple. Then I knit another seven rows and made a photo for comparison:

The white-purple clearly beat the gray-blue and won me over. And here's this morning's Fiddlehead Mitten #1:


For my first-time colorwork, this isn't bad (I hope). Of course, my stitches aren't very even. It took me a while to figure out which color to work with the left and which color to work with the right hand.

I'm totally fascinated with the inside, too.

The mitten is so warm! Right now it doesn't seem possible that it needs a mohair lining, but I know how cold Boston winters get...
Speaking of cold: today it was really warm. So warm, in fact, that this one dude in the grocery store forgot to wear his pants! In he walked, wearing the obligatory shirt and shoes, even a jacket, socks, and a hat, but no pants. Everyone tried very hard not to look disturbed, but disturbing it was.

No comments:
Post a Comment