I considered many mitten patterns (among my favorite: Risti, Tiffany, Norwegian Snail Mittens, Turkish Pattern Mittens) but decided to keep it at two colors, which left me with Smaragdi. On second thought, my first color work should probably not require size 0 needles. In my LYS I discovered a store sample of the gorgeous Fiddlehead Mittens, made with two colors of Cascade 220, and I knew I'd found myself a first color work pattern.
And now, to make a long story short, this is how my evening went today: I started fiddling with the Fiddleheads and About. Lost. My. Mind. Three hours and seven rows later, I'm calm again and look forward to working on this project. (Really.)
I understand fair isle and welcome the two-handed fair isle technique--in theory, that is. In practice, I hurt myself trying to figure out how to hold the yarn on two different fingers on the same (continental left) hand, before giving in and going English (and two-handed).
Going English is a new experience for me, folks, and throwing the yarn does not seem to be my thing. I can't keep tension! My right finger is limp, and I literally have to use my index finger and thumb to pick up the yarn and "throw" it over the needle. I know that this is all but a matter of practice, but still! Three hours, seven rows.

What do you think? Should I have gone for a more contrasty contrast than gray and gray/blue/purple? I want to line the insides with purple Kid Silk Haze. Should be warm!
And here's a sneak preview of Heron. As you can see there still aren't any buttons. Those will be purchased tomorrow.
Night now.

No comments:
Post a Comment