Sunday, November 29, 2009

End of the Line*

As all good things must come to an end, so must our Thanksgiving vacation with the Hubs's folkanoids in the NYC vicinity. Last night's greeting from the train was a quick one, and I owe you a few photos from yesterday's trip to MoMA, another one of my all-time favorite art museums of which I am now a happy member (I'm taking full advantage of annual student memberships these days, since my days of student discounts are numbered).

MoMA was absolutely, totally, and completely packed, and one of the special exhibitions was closed due to large crowds of Thanksgiving vacationeers. The Bauhaus exhibition, however, was open:

IMG_3749


It was here that I overheard the following, uttered by a twenty-something year-old gal in that sense-of-entitlement tone of voice that drives me up the wall: "So! Explain to me just what this has to do with the band Bauhaus??" The boyfriend/date person to whom her demand was directed looked a bit uneasy and begged her to keep it down...

In any event, the exhibit was fantastic. As a college student I spent a lot of time in Dessau and attended several events at the Bauhaus. The Hubs wasn't quite as impressed with Bauhaus design as I would have liked him to be, but he was a good sport and listened to my mindless "And when I was in Dessau..." babble.

Of course, we also saw a lot by Matisse:

IMG_3759


And by Clyfford Still and Barnett Newman, both of whose work I like very much, very much to the Hubs's dismay (I love walking through large empty gallery spaces with giant abstract paintings or minimalist art: I'm not one for crowded, crammed, cozy, cuddly, etc., spaces. Sometimes I wonder how the Hubs and I will work out our different design ideas: whereas he'd like to live in a Wunderkammer filled top to bottom with interesting things, I'd like to live in a large, empty cube made of glass and white walls. With just a little bit of yarn.)

After MoMA we walked to The Art Students League of New York (sacred halls for my MIL, the artist), visited with our artist friend Hyeseung, had the most amazing Chinese food at a restaurant in Chelsea, and simply walked around the streets of the city:

IMG_3830


IMG_3803


After a bit of a sleep-in this morning (was it really noon?), we slowly got ready for our return trip to Boston. Since I had gone on and on about the nearby LYS Sticks and Strings, my MIL, who had picked up knitting in June (horray!!!) and I convinced the guys to first drive us there. Hubs and FIL weren't too psyched about yarn and went to a prized wine store instead, and once we got back together again, the Hubs and I had a few new goodies:

IMG_3865


That's enough Lorna's Laces Worsted for Norah Gaughan's Bubble Pullover and a bit of yarn for a pair of socks. And while the Hubs won't get to play with the yarn, I sure will help him finish those twelves bottles!

Those manly socks for my dad, you ask? Well, I didn't finish them. We hit the road too late in the afternoon to have any usable daylight, and I didn't knit in the car. I made it around the heels and hope to finish the socks by the end of this week... I got a bit side-tracked the past couple of days trying out entrelac knitting: so addictive, those little squares!

IMG_3855


Almost twelve... I'd better publish this post before turning into a pumpkin!

*I stole the title from the Hubs, who has been blogging every day this month as well, and who usually comes up with much better blog titles... Check his blog out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment