Friday, November 27, 2009

Day at the Museum

IMG_3740


Actually, it was two museums: first we went to the Met, then to the Guggenheim. Apart from the fabulous Robert Frank show celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of his photo essay The Americans and an exhibition of American paintings documenting everyday life between 1765 and 1915, we also saw the Met's famous Christmas Tree, mounted today:

IMG_3714


Among my absolute favorite galleries at the Met are the modern European art galleries, and I spent some time there by myself while my family entertained themselves with arms and armor (the Hubs) and Vermeer (the ladies). My eyes usually pop out right about when I come across the first Matisse, and today wasn't any different: so many Matisse, where to look first? Once upon a time I almost became an art history major, and today I ventured down memory lane trying to remember bits and pieces of what I learned in art history classes. The Met definitely is one of my favorite places in the city (and the country, really).

IMG_3744


Once we left the Met we walked up to the Guggenheim to see the Oh-My-God-this-is-too-awesome Kandinsky retrospective. I loved LOVED LOVED it! (The Kitty Kraus installation on display, on the other hand, was complete nonsense. Or perhaps my lack of understanding [and appreciation] just shows that my decision against majoring in art history was a good one.)

IMG_3727


Today has been such a great day we're going back to the city tomorrow to see MoMA, visit the art studio of our dear friend Hyeseung Marriage-Song, and maybe even step into a yarn store! I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment