It's a baby project, no surprises here, but I made it not for Conrad but for little Edie, the now eight-week old daughter of my BFF. I believe Edie and Conrad are linked cosmically: My BFF called the day before Conrad's birth and left a message that she had news. Because of the time difference--my BFF met a Brit, married him, and is now lost to the UK, much to my dismay (although I am happy that she's happy, naturally)--I couldn't call her back but emailed her, saying I'd return her phone call the next day. Well, a couple of hours later I had to email her again and let her know that I would not return her phone call but be in the hospital instead. Anyway, it was a whole week later that I finally talked to her, and the news--you guessed it--was that she was pregnant with little Edie. Since then we've been planning the happy couple's wedding (Conrad & Edith, that does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?).
Before I'm going all chatty on you I'll show you some pics of (my version of) Amy Swenson's Munchkin Blanket. The second I saw Amy's pattern on her blog I was, like, yay, I gotta make that, too bad Conrad's got
I bought the yarn in March or April, long before my BFF knew the gender of her baby, alas, I knew it would be a girl. (Just as I knew my baby would be a girl and our friend Miranda's a boy. Now look at us, I got Conrad and Miranda's Valentina is soon turning two months. Ha.) At any rate, I was right about Edie, but I was lost in the mom-to-a-newborn universe (=utter chaos) and unable go to my LYS, so I ordered a bunch of Cascade 220 online. Bad mistake, since the two hues of pink and the two browns I had ordered didn't go together. So I ordered more pink and some off-white. And then I ordered even more pink, because the second shipment of pink wasn't to my heart's content either. Eventually, though, I got four colors that work. (There's a little nagging voice in my head that claims this still isn't a great color combination, but hey, I'll just ignore it.)
I can't really give any specs. I used a different yarn, ergo had a different gauge, which messed up the stitch count of the borders, so I modified the pattern slightly. That's about as detailed as I can recall things. However, I do remember that I loved knitting the blanket! It's worked in four triangles, each from the outside in, and the borders are added at the end. There aren't any seams but hundreds of picked up stitches. My favorite part: it's all garter stitch. I love garter stitch (which is why I bought EZ's Knit One Knit All--oh my, could I please, please have more time to knit? I adore some of those patterns. That, BTW, was the only knitting book purchase in the last ten months. It's so sad, I'm totally out of the knitting-world loop. Which fantastic books and patterns have I missed, tell me!).
Look at me, I can't keep my mouth shut (hands still?) once I start writing. However, I better stop. I'm in the middle of Christmas Photobook Madness. Everyone in the family is getting books with a gazillion of Conrad photos for Christmas, and putting together those photo books is about as time-consuming and frustrating as ironing multiple sets of sheets, three weeks' worth of button-down shirts, and 4.000 diapers, which is the other thing on this weekend's to-do list. (At least photo books tend to impress more than ironed laundry, that's their redeeming feature.)
One more Munchkin photo...
The blanket looks awesome! At least in the photos, the colors go together beautifully...
ReplyDelete