Sunday, April 11, 2010

Seeds

Although I loved Elizabeth's idea of knitting a fishbowl with Heilo, I stuck to the original plan and test knit Seeds for Chris, over at Doodles in String.

(Pause here: I test knit something. This pleases me to no end, as it means that I've gotten good enough to test other people's designs and give them my feedback, and it counts for something! In this instance "feedback" consisted solely of praise: Chris's instructions are super clear, her chart is perfect, and her design needs no revision or clarification at all.)

I took some blah pictures last night, before giving the hat a bath...

IMG_0427


IMG_0408


...and better photos this morning, while the hat was still wet:

IMG_7487


Those little guys, well, they remind me of fat, cute birds:

IMG_7485


My first attempt at picot. So easy I can't believe I haven't tried this sooner.

IMG_7489


My one and only complaint is directed at me, myself, and I. With a head as big as mine, I had to fiddle with different needle sizes to get a gauge that would allow for a 23" hat (instead of 21", as in Chris's pattern). I should have used heavier yarn, not larger needles, because the stitches are somewhat loose and poorly defined with Heilo on #5 needles. Oh well. It's still a gorgeous hat!

Of course, I didn't set the sleeves into my purple spring cotton cardi (I wish the pattern had a name, so that I didn't need to keep calling it "purple spring cotton cardigan"). With Seeds on the needles, I haven't touched the cardi since I finished knitting the sleeves. There won't be much time to do so today, because--drum roll--we're going to a reading by Mister David Sedaris himself! (We're Sedaris fans. Big time. We went to a Sedaris reading on our second date, and it's been a bit of a tradition to read Sedaris stories to each other at night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment