Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sideways

Voilà: another little baby something!

Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater


I have very little to say about Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater (published in Greetings from Knit Café), except that at some point I was skeptical I'd like the result and then surprised myself by loving it. Slip stitch patterns do this to me.... they kill me in the process of making them but win my heart over as soon as I finish them and forget how many times I had to knit-tink-knit (I don't understand why I have difficulties with slipping stitches; I just do).

Really cool about this sweater is that it's reversible. The back (or is it the front?) looks like this:

Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater


Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater


I suppose the big bow has to sit on baby's belly unless it's tummy time; otherwise the back is too bulky to be comfortable. For the sake of comfort the designer moved the sleeve seams to the outside as not to irritate chubby cute baby arms.

Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater


Nifty!

The cardi is knitted from one side to the other, and the sleeves are added last.

Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater


Further specs:
Yarn: four skeins of Debbie Bliss Rialto in a shade of purple not adequately captured in any of the images
Needles: US #5
Size: 6 mo per pattern, but yarn/needle size substitution resulted in a smaller sweater, fitting perhaps a 3-4 mo old babe (that's what I'm hoping anyway)
Mods: I added a panel of garter stitch to the front (underneath the bow)

It took a surprisingly long time to finish the sweater, not because the pattern was difficult, but because I was distracted by some fabulous books. More about those later.

In other news: Today I broke my pinky toe.

4 comments:

  1. OH I really like that one! it looks kinda "special" - in a very cool way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm so sorry about your toe. I hope it feels better soon. That's an awesome sweater for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sweater!

    (sorry to hear about your toe...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat sweater construction - the finished item is so cute!

    ReplyDelete