Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ten on Tuesday: Ten Favorite Health and Beauty Products

It's been a while since I've participated in Carole's group blogging enterprise, but this week's topic caught my attention. Beauty products! Love 'em!!

Ten on Tuesday: Beauty


1. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche Facial Cream saved me as a teenager, and I'm still a Toleriane fan. I used to have pretty bad facial eczema, which sucks at any age, but it really sucks if you're a teen. I used to get prescriptions for this stuff, now I buy it myself and use it religiously as soon as dry-skin season starts (that is, heating season). It helps with dry, blotchy, itchy skin. Love it!

2. Foundation used to be a big problem because of aforementioned eczema, until my dermatologist suggested (somewhat hesitantly) to try Teint Idole Ultra by Lancôme. I haven't touched any other foundation since then, and because I'm so happy with it all my other make-up products are Lancôme as well. (I don't use make-up often: only when something important is happening at work, when I go out, and when I have one of those I'm-the-ugliest-duckling-in-the-world days and need a confidence booster. I usually use some pinkish blush, a little bit of green eyeshadow, and brown mascara. I'm pretty minimalistic.)

3. I hardly ever use lipstick but love lip gloss. My favorites are Aveda Lip Shine (in color Beet Root--which is no longer available online *gasp*) and C.O. Bigelow's Mentha Lip Shine Vanilla. For less glossy but moisturized lips I use Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (in a tin) or plain ol' Blistex, either with a hint of color or, in weather like today's, the medicated kind.

4. Constant companion: Herbacin Kamille hand cream. It's one of just a handful of East German products that survived German unification and is still manufactured today--and available in North America, for instance at Whole Foods and on Amazon. This is the best hand cream, like, ever.

5. Chanel No. 5. Nuff said.

6. After a hot bath (a Saturday morning essential) I like to pamper myself with Weleda Lavender Relaxing Body Oil. I love Weleda products, and for the Bean I got the Calendula Baby Oil for future baby massages.

7. I have seriously cracked heels year-round. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Cracked Heels helps--as long as I don't forget to use it (which I do most nights). It's no longer on the Neutrogena website, but I assume the company's new Foot Cream is identical.

8. Redken Extreme Conditioner makes for very soft and silky hair, but recently I replaced all shower/hair products with paraben free stuff. The Whole Foods brand lavender shampoo and conditioner don't leave my hair quite as soft, but (hopefully) healthier!

9. Entirely ridiculous, but even after ten years in the US I still haven't found (a) a toothpaste and (b) a roll-on deodorant that I like, and I make all visitors from Germany bring Meridol and 8x4 Mild und Soft. The toothpaste is gum-friendly and whitener-free; the deodorant is what my mom gave me when I was old enough to use it, and I've never tried anything else.

10. Ok, I give up. I've run out of "favorites." How about house beauty (i.e., cleaning) products? I love everything Method, preferably when it smells of lavender. The sea minerals dish soup is also awesome.

Happy Tuesday!


***Can you tell that waiting-for-baby is getting boring? I mean, I just took a photo of my toothpaste.***

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't so sure about this topic at first, but it's actually pretty interesting!! C'mon baby!!

    ReplyDelete