So reads
dw's comment to Monday's post. Since this is pretty much the extent of baby knowledge that my man and I have acquired over the past months, I am beginning to wonder why we spent a small fortune on childbirth and parenting classes. Let me recount last Saturday's mini-scare: Here I was, lifting stuff, not heavy stuff, just some stuff, up onto a shelf. And suddenly I felt this really intense pain all over my midsection, and it lasted something like thirty seconds. So I went to my betrothed and said, "Love, I don't want to freak you out, but I think I just had a contraction." He's cool as a cucumber in any and all life situations, but what did he do on Saturday?
Freak out. He went pale and started talking fast, and then he pushed me into a chair, gave me a glass of water, and told me to stop having contractions because he wasn't ready yet for this. So nevermind the party we had been invited to go to; we hung out at home all evening waiting for whatever else there was to come. Which was
nothing. False alarm. Probably just a friendly reminder that my torso muscles were working hard as it were. (Giant belly=really heavy.)
Point of the story: we're ten days away from
doom day my due date, but we don't feel ready and keep telling the Bean to stay put. Since there's no way the baby will stay where he is till April, which is, by Hubs' estimate, the time we're ready to have a child, I guess it's good that at least materially we're ready. I'm not interior-designy inclined, so don't judge what you're about to see too harshly, namely the results of December's apartment-mega-rearrangement efforts (it wasn't enough to move every piece of furniture in our apartment, I also moved every single of our 3,000 books, somehow thinking that I'd bring zen into my life by putting them in alphabetical order.) Thanks to our
über-generous families, we have really cool baby gear that is now spread out evenly over the apartment.
Let's start in the office, the focal point of which this has become:
There's more baby "entertainment furniture" on the other side... a baby bouncer and an activity gym, and we're thinking of giving the baby a whip so he can properly motivate us to work while himself bouncing his days away.
We moved everything around in the living room to make room for Bean Cage #1:
Bean Cage #2 shares the bedroom with us:
And then there's what was formerly known as the "storage room." In lieu of proper closets we used the spare room, tucked underneath the roof and up some scary stairs, to store
junk college papers, a collection of non-functioning vacuum parts, boxes containing God-knows-what, and whatever else we wanted to get out of our sight. With Herculean effort we cleared out half the room and turned the front part into a cribless nursery with a changing table, a storage shelf, and a nursing chair:
As you can see, we couldn't part with junk completely, but we hid it behind a curtain.
I'm totally in love with this little room, mainly because in it is the only chair in which I am still able to sit comfortably:
(That blue thing is a nursing pillow.) Sleeping horizontally has become a bit of a challenge, and usually I end up in here at night for a series of short naps. (Who knew the not-sleeping already starts in pregnancy?)
So, there you got it. Babies cry and eat and poop, and we're here and ready to rock them, feed them, and clean them. Well, one baby, that is.
Next time there will be knitting content again. (Baby knitting. I know I know, it's getting lame. There's light at the end of the tunnel: not only am I planning to dive into fair isle knitting, despite dw's warning, but I also want to knit a lace shawl for my Ph.D. advisor. She had to read my 403-page magnus opum four times and deserves something amazing.)
I don't know if you're ever really mentally ready to become a parent, but you definitely look materially ready. Your rooms are beautiful and very welcoming. You'll rock this baby thing, don't worry.
ReplyDeleteSo - does this comfort you:
ReplyDeleteI had never held a baby younger than 10months old before I had mine. :-)
I was scared - oh really scared to pick Isabella up when she was born... Fortunately my DH had been taking care of a newborn just a couple of years earlier when his little brother was born (yep - they have 30yrs age difference!)
And Isabella - she was tiny, only 2820g. But with a H U G E voice when she cried... and a lots of character. It took me some days to get used to how to pick her up without being scared etc.
You will do just fine. It's a cliche but just go and trust your instincts! Never mind what the nurses/doctors/everyone else says! (me included) your instincts are the best thing ever when you have a newborn baby. You don't need to think "am I doing this right?" just do as you feel and you're going to be fine...
You are well prepared when it comes to baby stuff! Our girls have slept 3 first moths of their lives in a cardboard box (this is not as dramatic as it sounds - in Finland every babies' family gets a maternity package full of baby goodies from the Kela (The Social Insurance Institution of Finland) and in some families the newborn baby sleeps in the box where all the gear arrives. (it does have a fitting mattress & all:-D)
To see what I'm talking about see this:
http://kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf/NET/190207141935HL?OpenDocument
and in pictures -in case you want to see what Finnish mothers get at the moment in that package:
http://kela.fi/in/internet/english.nsf/NET/180408150632HS
I wish you all the best on the last meters of your pregnancy - you'll be fine! Enjoy. It is a once in a lifetime experience to have your fist child!
You two, thank you for being so sweet! I didn't mean to sound whiny or scared. I'm really really really looking forward to meeting the little guy and not that worried (DH is, but mainly because he's afraid he'll never get any more work done, ever). A-L: those maternity boxes are awesome!!
ReplyDeleteOh crap. Now my snarky comments are being quoted in blog titles. That's what I get for being a smart-ass.
ReplyDeleteYour set up looks fantastic to me. I love that you didn't totally change your entire world to accommodate the bean (though it probably feels like you did). Your place still very much looks like grown-ups live there too. Me likey the artwork above the sofa. Couch. Whatever.
{Insert rant on how sad I think it is when parents transform their lives and even their personalities to the point where they can no longer relate to other grown-ups - especially ones who are not parents themselves. End rant.}
I have several friends of European descent and I believe they have a similar approach. Minimalist nursery decor. Check out what Hetty did:
http://lightbluegrey.blogspot.com/2010/10/uterus.html
(Note: I think she means "Womb", but whatever.)
PS: Those Finnish baby packages are AWESOME! Can you imagine? You probably have enough basics to keep the little one clean and warm for quite a while before you need to spend any money out of pocket. And fed, too (as long as you're nursing), I suppose. There are even condoms and lubricant in there! That's just wild. North American conservatives would have a conniption. I love it.