Monday, January 10, 2011

What's In Your Insanity Closet?

I'm a sucker for fair aisle. I haven't knit but a pair of mittens and a hat using that technique, but whenever I imagine my knitting future a multitude of fair isle sweaters and cardigans pop into the picture. So when I saw Knit Picks' Dogwood Blossoms Sweater kit I had to have it. Seriously, isn't this purty (check the link for much better photos), especially since the kit costs less than eight trips to the espresso bar??!

IMG_0457


And so today a big Knit Picks package arrived. In it were a standard letter-sized instruction booklet of twenty pages and lots of yarn:

IMG_0416


IMG_0445


Sooooo exciting, right? Which is why I ran to the Hubs. But instead of doing an enthusiasm dance, you know what he said? This:

"You better put this into the insanity closet."

Huh?! The only meaning I could deduce from this cryptic remark is that my wonderful husband thinks I'm crazy. Now, after reading the instructions I might agree that there's a little bit of truth to it, but Dude!, be a bit less discouraging!

In any event, I've been mulling over the concept of the "insanity closet" all day long. I think mine contains this other fair isle sweater kit that I bought last year, the yarn that I got to make Nancy Bush's Crown Prince Square Shawl, and possibly a small number of other perhaps-too-ambitious projects. *sigh*

Though I do think that I may be able to make this cardigan just in time for me to have lost the baby weight (don't ask, and I won't have to lie) so that it fits. I've decided that's going to be a year-long project (losing the weight, that is), and perhaps my knitting resolution for 2011 could be to finish one large fair isle project. (Either Dogwood Blossoms or the other one that I have, which technically isn't fair isle but a traditional Norwegian pattern--or is that all the same?). Hmmm... I have to think about it.

And while I do so I'm engaged in mindless knitting. In the most boring mindless knitting there is: stockinette stitch in the round. Once my mom found out that both my brother's girlfriend and I were pregnant she went on a Debbie Bliss shopping binge and got enough Baby Cashmerino to make two of these:

IMG_0467


Now, she turned out to be rather busy this fall as well, and while she started the Carryboo for grandson #1 (baby Paul Alexander was born December 14, yay!), she neither finished that one nor started the second Carryboo. Instead she sent the yarn my way, and since Wednesday I've been knitting my fingers bloody to get it done in time. This is what I got so far:

IMG_0464


Don't let the picture fool you; this thing is gigantic! At this point the bunting (which I knit in the round, not, like DB suggests, flat) could multipurpose as a strapless top for someone not-so-slim.

Oh... and you know what? Just as I was searching for the Carryboo link (see above) I came across pattern corrections: apparently the bunting is supposed to be much, much narrower! That makes perfect sense, but now it's too late to go back. I still have the upper back and hood to knit, but probably I won't bother lining the Carryboo (because I don't know what to do with fabric and needle).

I keep you posted. In the meantime, why don't you tell me what's in your insanity closet?

4 comments:

  1. I loved that Knitpicks sweater the instant I saw it a few weeks ago and I was resisting really well....but that is one gorgeous pile of yarn! I know you can handle it. That is a super cute bunting.
    I'm pretty fearless, in a delusional way, about what I'm capable of knitting-wise. But I've been thinking about doing an Alice Starmore fair isle sweater, which would fit in the insanity closet if only because of the huge amount of time it would take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are totally crazy-town. The strands, oh the strands! I don't know much about babies, but I know they cry and they eat and they poop. All activities which require the parents' full use of their hands.

    But wait, aren't all we knitters crazy? {Looks in mirror for confirmation} Yes, yes, we most definitely are.

    Not sure where that leaves you, re: the insanity closet, but I suspect that you are in very good company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one gorgeous fair isle project! I want to have one too:-D

    I totally disagree with the insanity closet though - Imagine how fun it is going to be knitting row after row with those incredible colours and watch your knitting grow beneath your eyes. It's only knit (& purl if it isn't steeked) stitches anyways. Oh you're in for a treat me-thinks!

    (I'm off to check if they ship that lovely gardi-kit to Europe....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so... exactly what I feared - the folks at the KnitPicks don't ship internationally. Bugger!

    ReplyDelete