Monday, August 17, 2009

Five

Folks, it's way too hot and humid to knit! I'm not a fan of A/C, and we don't have A/C at home, but right now I sure wish we did. With all cooling fans available to us running on high and pointing to the bed, I still wasn't able to sleep well. And you know what's on today's to-do list? Ironing. I don't know if I can cope with ironing today. But I have a thing tomorrow morning and another thing tomorrow noon, and for both things, which are related to this job I'm starting sort of now, I need blouses and nice pants, and blouses and nice pants require ironing, so I don't have much choice but to iron today. With all fans available pointing to the ironing board maybe I'll manage. I may wear no more than a bikini, though.

As to the job: I got my first real job! Hooray. Without yet having finished the degree, I already got a college teaching job, which is so awesome I can't even put it into words. It's part-time, so that I have enough time to finish writing and then defend the dissertation blah blah blah, but I'm so excited to be rescued from my L.L.L. existence (Lonely Library Life) and put into a classroom with breathing human beings with whom I can interact. Oh my God, there might even be talking.

Am I rambling? It's the heat-cum-humidity.

Since I didn't knit, I did other things this weekend. My five favorites and favorite five:

1. Going to the (air-conditioned) ICA to see the Shepard Fairey exhibition.

ICA


2. Seeing The Comedy of Errors at the downtown park, the Boston Commons, where the Commonwealth Shakespeare Company puts on a free Shakespeare production each summer.

DSCF3092


3. Discovering a really lovely (moderately air-conditioned) French Bistro with real French staff and real French food.

4. Browsing the art produced by this year's graduating class of the New England School of Photography at NESOP's (air-conditioned) gallery.

5. Settling into my new (air-conditioned) office, which I have all to myself. It even has windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment