Monday, January 11, 2010

Still Sticking to that Resolution!

You didn't believe me when I said I'd trade knitting time for exercising or, more importantly, dissertation writing time, and neither did I. However, the Hubs put me on The Plan, a schedule he devised in an attempt to do what normal people do: get up really early, work hard for many hours, go to bed entirely exhausted. All of this at the expense of play time. *sigh* As result I've been exercising every day (that's between "getting up really early" and "working hard for many hours") and gotten some work done (there's still room for improvement in executing that part of the plan), but have been too tired to pick up the needles (except on weekends). I feel super fit and productive, but haven't made much progress with my EPS sweater; this means that I'm totally on track in terms of new year's resolutions, even on day eleven.

In lieu of real knitting I've attended Julia Farwell-Clay's lecture that kicked off last weekend's Fiber Camp Boston. Sadly, I didn't go to camp (see above), but a lecture at MIT sounded academic enough to count towards time-spent-working. Julia, the Features Director at TwistCollective, gave us a very entertaining behind-the-scenes look at how the internet has changed working conditions for knit designers and allowed the audience to touch, sniff, cuddle, fondle, and try on sweaters featured in Twist. Alasdair Post-Quinn, designer of Four Winds (in the most recent Twist issue), was present as well, and I got a chance to chat with him about the prospects of men warming up to the idea of knitted ties. (Fat chance.)

Since I don't want to leave you without a photo or two, I'm posting three:

IMG_5706


Wow. 8-inch circular needles, happily curled up in the Hubs' wedding band (he didn't volunteer for this photo. I made him sit still). I can't imagine knitting with these needles, that's why I had to have them.

IMG_5694


The EPS sweater. Body and both sleeves are done, now I need to assemble it all and work the raglan/v-neck top. (Unfortunately, I can't find anything in EZ about V-necks... I'm experimenting and hope for the best.)

IMG_5452


The Boston Commons on First Night (that's New Year's Eve). The parks were crowded with people, in spite of the cold. Rather than seeing the fireworks at the harbor at midnight, we retreated to our favorite French bistro and celebrated with the waitstaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment