Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Squares and Such

A while back I finished Allison LoCiero's Entrelac Scarf. Before posting any pictures I had to make sure that the completed project reached its final destination: the hands of my MIL, my most faithful blog reader (I think she reads it to get news about the Hubs:)). Now that the scarf has made its way to Mississippi, where the unexpected cold wave elevates a scarf from being merely fashionable to also being very practical, I can show it off to you:

IMG_5634


IMG_5654


IMG_5580


Excuse the comparison, but knitting this thing was a bit like giving birth: painful. Absolutely painful. Entrelac, I discovered, is not my thing. But once the baby (=the scarf) was there, all pain was forgotten immediately. That's how much I loved the result. BTW, it's Noro Silk Garden, if you hadn't guessed already. :)

If I had knit this for myself, I would have chosen a different colorway. MIL and I were yarn shopping together, and I had already picked a Noro colorway of neutrals (grays, mainly, with a hint of brown and some black) when MIL remarked just how much she loved the bold colors. And that's when I decided to knit the scarf for her, as a Christmas early January present.

I realize that one of the beauties of Noro is the element of surprise. I'm all for surprises, but when one of the four skeins purchased contains only half the colors of the other skeins, surprise turns into disappointment. Here two photos for comparison, on the left a "normal" skein, on the right its misbehaving sibling:

IMG_5669IMG_5670

However, my MIL seems to like the scarf, and that's really the only thing that counts.

Lastly, a photo of my favorite square:

IMG_5678

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on Entrelac. Interesting exercise; not my favorite technique! Still, you made a gorgeous scarf! Here's my response to your note on my blog:

    Melanie, y'all come now, y'hear?! Winnipeg is worth visiting. :) Thanks for your comment about my last post. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete