Monday, September 14, 2009

Antennae!

Howdy! How was your weekend? I made my Hubs go gaga; what did you do?

Well, Hubs says I didn't actually push him over the edge, but surely I came close. This is what happened:

IMG_1226


For the mystery socks I had wound one skein of yellow golden cashmere heaven, and to knit the socks two at a time I needed both ends of the yarn. This of course is a piece o' cake if you use a yarn swift and a ball winder. Not so if you wind by hand using the back of a chair, since you "lose" the inside end to the yarn you wind around it. So I wound the yarn around a toilet paper roll tube to maintain access to the inside end. So far quite clever, yes? As you can image, my ball of yarn looked fairly... well... un-pretty. But it served its purpose: I had two ends of yarn to work with, to knit two individual socks.

Then something strange happened last Saturday, and I refuse to recall what it was exactly. But somehow I ended up pulling a large part of the inside body out of the ball of yarn. I accidentally pulled a lot of the inside out! This left me with a huge mess of tangled yarn. I pulled and pushed and untangled and moved around and pulled some more, and I did all of those things for about an hour, but I just couldn't untangle the mess. So I got the scissors, thinking I must cut the yarn near the sock end, and again near the ball end, throw away the middle and tie together the two loose ends.

When Hubs saw me with the scissors, he did this manly thing where he felt challenged to save the world, one strand of yarn at a time. So he sat down and untangled the yarn. And he did so for a long, looooooog time. No scissors ever touched that yarn.

In the meantime I sat in the other room, undoing my shiny "Luxus" sweater to take care of the mess I had created by not watching my gauge. Something I hadn't quite considered: the yarn's a mohair blend. Ripping was painful and took a lot, a lot!, of time.

With all of Saturday's yarn frustration, I treated us to key lime bars on Sunday. They were yum. I made the crust using animals crackers.

IMG_1233


And since I was feeling the yellow thing, I knit up a bit of the LaLana Wools Streakers! I got in Taos last spring (mostly white, with a bit of yellow here and there), and I came up with this:

IMG_1256


The yellow turned especially pretty once I was ready to cast off, so I crocheted some antennae on top of it:

IMG_1262


Unbelievable how quick a knit a hat is! This is my first hat, and I didn't even have a pattern to follow. (Not that this is an ingenious pattern, but I'm pretty happy that I got the measurements right the first time.)

Hat


Winter, Where Art Thou?*

*I take that back. Please, winter, stay away for a while, will ya? Send brother autumn first, pretty please.

No comments:

Post a Comment