Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Plan, Travel, Knit

Here's an update on those projects I'm planning to knit on my trip to New Mexico. (Mind you, these are not real WIP's yet... this is all part of the planning stage. I haven't actually started knitting yet. Nope.)

One...

Searching for a pattern for those toe-up, two-at-a-time socks, I played around a bit, trying Wendy's Sprucey Lucy design, among other things. However, since I want to take the socks on the plane and don't feel confident memorizing charts (not yet anyway), I ended up frogging and started over again. Inspired by the eyelet columns of the Icarus shawl, I decided on the same columns, with ribbing in between: for 33 stitches across the foot, the pattern is something like this: (p, k, 2tog, yo, k, yo, ssk, k) four times, ending with an extra purl stitch. A real no-brainer. I think it will look nice... the yarn is so pretty, a simple stockinette stitch would probably do the trick as well.

Eyelet Socks


Now that I established the pattern I won't touch those socks until I'm on the plane Friday next week! (Promise! Really! Won't touch... no no no. Memo to self: no!)

...Two...

I figured out (duh!) that reading a chart is much, much easier than following written instructions, simply because the chart gives you a visual clue on what's going on, preventing silliness (i.e., mistakes). So I transcribed the instructions into a chart. Knitting the stole will be a breeze now.

Children of Lir


Children of Lir


...Three!

I cast on those 212 stitches for the linen tank (Norah Gaughan's Basalt Tank). Using the continental cast on method, the meaning of "measure the yarn, 2 cm per stitch" (for the tail) became clear: I didn't measure, and I met the end of the tail at around 190 stitches. So I cast on again... The yarn is a bit funny to work with, 'cause it has an almost plastic feel to it, but I love the color!

Basalt Tank


Now that all is good order, I can simply pack those three projects and go to New Mexico! (We'll see how much knitting I'll actually get done on the trip... I have a record of planning which five or six books to read while on vacation, returning home with a bunch of unread books. That reminds me... which books am I going to read on the trip...?)

No comments:

Post a Comment