Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Icarus Needs Mending

It should have been an occasion for joyous celebration. And for a while it was: I finished Icarus (sound the trumpets!). I finished the edging, I bound off, I wove in the ends, and then I took a couple of pictures before blocking it. This is how beautiful Icarus was, just a few hours ago:

DSCF1299


DSCF1306


Gorgeous, right? At least I thought so... I was thrilled... and a little bit pleased with myself... I had met the deadline...

Then I gave the shawl a good soak. In nice, lukewarm water. In soapy water. While Icarus was taking its bath, I covered the living room floor with three large towels. Then I blocked. The shawl grew. 52 inches long, and too wide to measure it with a 60-inch tape. It was beautiful, my Icarus:

DSCF1315


DSCF1316


But then I discovered this:

DSCF1319


A HOLE! Because somewhere in chart three I HAD DROPPED A STITCH THREE STITCHES.

::*?#!f*)a!!::

I realize I need to stay calm and look at this mess tomorrow, when the initial shock will have worn off, when Icarus will have dried, when there will be decent daylight. There's no point in losing my mind over this tonight. I need to take a deep breath; I will be able to fix it.

The question, though: HOW, exactly, DO I FIX THIS?

No comments:

Post a Comment