My mom taught me knitting when I was young, but I didn’t enjoy it as a teenager or young adult, and I never made it past that scarf that’s too short to deserve the name. However, in the last three or four years, whenever I’d visit my parents’ house, I’d end up with needles and yarn in my hands… Because I usually stay at my mom’s for two weeks at a time (she lives in Europe), I’d start real projects–not just little scarves! But then: as soon as I’d return to the U.S., I’d abandon those poor projects. This has left me with an unfinished sweater, an unfinished shawl, and an unfinished bed jacket.
I have a very passionate knitter friend, who produces gorgeous, GORGEOUS knitting, and she was so kind to give me Clara Parkes’ Book of Yarn for my birthday, three weeks ago. Now I’m hooked! Seriously. Since my first, very shy trip to my LYS I’ve knitted a (rather long) “sample scarf” to try out different stitch combinations and lace stitches. I *love* knitting lace stitches! The scarf is ugly, but my brave husband offered to wear it anyway. I wouldn’t let him; instead I started Kenny Chua’s Sculptured Lace Scarf (in Knits, Spring 2009). It’s beautiful! I’m terribly proud of myself and daydream of all the things I will knit next… My friend gave me sock yarn a couple of nights ago to try out socks, and here we go, I’m knitting socks!
Woohoo!!! My inner knitter is out!

(This is the Sculptured Lace Scarf, which doesn't look very lacy here; I'll take a better picture when I finish it!)

(This is the GIANT unfinished blue shawl... UFO for the past two years.)
No comments:
Post a Comment