Friday, March 25, 2011

Two Years

We traded cold & snowy (rainy?) Boston for warm & sunny Mississippi to visit a newly minted set of grandparents (the Hubs's parents). It's been in the 70s for the entire two weeks we've been here, and I just love taking the Bean for walks through the hilly forest that is my in-law's neighborhood. It's good for both of us: Conrad is getting his much-needed dose of vitamin D and I'm walking off a few of those pregnancy pounds.

IMG_2174


Yesterday I remembered that the last time we were here, Christmas 2009, I picked up the knitting needles after many years of neglect. I don't remember what triggered it, but it was with some urgency that I went to a Michaels store, picked up a bulky yarn and knitted a scarf, all in stockinette and with rolled-up edges. That's how I got hooked to knitting. The following March I began blogging, and once I remembered that, I realized I had forgotten about my second blogiversary, which was a few weeks back. Argh! To celebrate the occasion appropriately (if belatedly), I strapped the Bean into his car seat, took my FIL along to babysit the offspring, and went to the local yarn store (Mississippi's largest), The Knit Studio. And lemme tell you, The Knit Studio is making it on my list of favorite LYS. It's a spacious store with lots of room to walk around and daydream of future projects (as well as tables and chairs if the knitting bug bites you right there); the yarn selection is awesome and ranges from basic and affordable stuff (think Cascade 220 in a gazillion colors) to more luxurious and rare goods; and the owner is lovely and very helpful. The library is impressive, and if you have a husband in tow (or any other non-knitter who's rolling his [her] eyes at you for stepping into a yarn store), there's a "media room" where you can park your companion to read the news or watch TV. I'm totally won over by The Knit Studio.

Which is why I brought this home:

IMG_2516


That's a lot of fuzzy stuff (angora! mohair!) for pre-summer knitting (who am I kidding?) and some cotton for (baby) knitting during the summer. Hooray!

***

Thank y'all for leaving such nice comments. Conrad is doing very, very well, and so am I. I love being a mom, and I seem to be doing a pretty good job, since the Bean is mostly happy and smiles and coos a lot. He's got some stomach issues, but supposedly (hopefully!) that gets better soon. In the meantime we take his mind off of his tummy by standing underneath his grandparents' ceiling fan--which he just *loves.* He gets a total kick out of watching the fan move.

IMG_2498

1 comment:

  1. WHOA !! It looks like you picked up some greaaaat treasures !!! How exciting !!! And your little bird is soooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete